Keywords: Linux Printing, Debian, cups system, HP Linux and Image software, Install, Add , Change Printers, Print Server.
- Install Software:
apt-get update apt-get install cupsys cupsys-client
- Start the software:
- Now you can add printer by going to
- [OPTIONAL]If you are in server environment and you do not have a browser like Firefox, you will need to install text browser called lynx.
apt-get install lynx
- No go to the same address as specified before with Lynx.
- Follow the instructions as you see on the screen. Set default printer.
Example, kyocera printer
- Type in:
Click on Do Administration Task, then Add New Printer,
Name: kyocera9520 Location: Back Room Description: High output printer
Click on AppSocket/HP JetDirect
- If you have a network printer that you can directly print to select:
LPD/LPR Host Printer
- Then change a device URI to one of the examples:
Then select Make.Then Model. If your model is not there, you can try picking similar printer number/driver and it should work.
When done go back to original menu. Click on Set Default Printer
- Is the printer running
- What is the default printer
- Printer queue
- Any other settings can be done through easy web interface or using print settings program as root:
- Options include: pause, resume, cancel print jobs, etc.
No Printer Drivers
- Most of the more common printer should already have drivers in cups system. For the newer once see the manufacture website.
For copier/printer/scanner like Imagerunner 5065
Download the ppd drivers: http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/imagerunner/PPD_v241.exe
- run it using wine. This will unzip the PPD to temp folder. Find your printer and use the QX PPD drivers.
Command line printing
Print pdf files in command line
- Single pdf printing
lpr mypdffile.pdf or lpr -p fastHPprinter mypdffile.pdf
- Batch pdf printing
for i in *.pdf;do lpr -p fastHPprinter $i;done
Printing from Windows
Auto driver download
- Open Explorer and navigate to this address:
- Click on Printers and Faxes
Right click on the printer and go to properties.
- You will get a message.
The server for the printer does not have correct printer drivers installed. If you want to ....
- Click No.
Click on Advanced Tab and select New Driver.
- Follow similar installation procedure as for regular windows printer. When drivers are found they will get uploaded to samba print$ share. From there any windows that double click on the printer will automatically download drivers for it.